All ages including adults and seniors are welcome to take studio or online piano lessons. All levels and styles of music are taught. Ford offers a traditional approach as he works to develop a solid technique and a fluid ability play classical, jazz, and modern styles. It is not just a piano lesson it's a complete, in-depth and fun music program. The lessons include music theory and history, ear training and sight reading. The lessons are tailored to each student's skill and needs.
RCM Certified Teacher
Ford is a RCM Certified Teacher and qualifies under the category of an Advanced Piano Specialist. In addition to this, he is also a member of the Ontario Registered Music Teachers' Association
The setup for an online piano lesson is very simple. Skype is widely used for the purpose. The software works well and is user friendly. It is free to download and is available on Windows and Mac. A laptop computer is preferable. A cell phone or tablet do not work well as the image generated is too small and it is difficult to aim the camera. A music stand is used to position the camera. However, if you do not have a music stand then you can easily improvise.
Advantages of Online Piano Lessons
I must admit I was not a fan of online piano lessons at first. However, I am a convert. I have accumulated experience in giving online lessons and have found they work just as well as a regular lesson. I have consistently received positive feedback from the lessons. Compared to an in-person lesson, online piano lessons offer some clear advantages. Below, I have provided a list of a few attractive features.
- No travelling is needed as the online piano lessons are taken at home
- No need to collect your music to take to your lesson
- Sound quality is sufficient for teaching at all levels and improving all the time
- Interactive on screen white boards can be shared between teacher and student
- Annotations can be made using music reading applications while screen sharing with students
- Both student and teacher can instantly perform on their own instrument (without needing to switch places)
- No one needs to be house proud
- Transient students/families can take their teacher with them
FAQ About Piano Lessons
Ford conducts weekly piano lessons. The lessons range in length from thirty to sixty minutes. The length depends on age, level, and the amount of time for practice. The tuition for lessons is $60 per hour. The fee for a 30-minute lessons is $30. Students are required to pay four lessons in advance. Therefore, the cost of four 30-minute lessons is $120. In addition, lessons policies followed are those recommended by the Ontario Registered Music Teachers' Association.
BENEFITS OF MUSIC EDUCATION
"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
- Music conveys our cultural heritage. It is as important to know about Beethoven and Louis Armstrong as it is to know about Newton and Einstein
- As an inherent intelligence in all people, musicianship deserves to be developed
- Creative and self-expressive, it enables the expression of our noblest thoughts and feelings
- Students learn about their relationships with others, in both their own and foreign culture
- Music enhances Scholastic Performance
- Students experience avenues of success they may not experience elsewhere in their educational curriculum
- Students learn that not all life is quantifiable
- Music exalts the human spirit
Ford Barker has pursued two different career paths. His first career was in Life Sciences. Ford completed his BSc in Life Sciences at Queen's University in Kingston. Following this, he worked at the University of Toronto on various research projects. While doing well in this field he felt a need for change. He decided to follow his life-long passion for music.
Benefits of Study with a Registered Music Teacher
- Assurance of qualified knowledgeable instruction
- Opportunities for performance at Music Festivals, Examinations, Public Recitals, Studio Recitals and Master Classes, and Canada Music Week Celebrations
- National and Provincial Student Competitions
- Opportunities for students to receive scholarships in both practical and theoretical subjects
- Opportunities for advanced students to develop applied pedagogical knowledge and experience needed to obtain a Teachers Associate Diploma